Have you ever wanted to own an electric car? or have you ever wanted to drive a Porsche 911? I wanted both, so I decided to build one. This blog is here to document my journey as I convert a 2002 Porsche 911/996 Carrera 2 from a gas guzzler to a completely electric vehicle - not a hybrid!

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Fuel Gauge Victory

Today I spent some time debugging the Fuel Gauge in the cockpit. With all the gas tank and gas level sensors removed, the car gives me fuel error warning lights when I turn on the car which are quite annoying and distracting. Today I traced through the car schematics and found the wiring harness that needed a hack. I also found from the level sensor the resistance was about 40ohms when full and 250ohms when empty. So I soldered a 150ohm resistor across the sensor wires on the wiring harness. This made the warning lights in the cockpit go away and the Fuel Gauge now reads about 1/2 full. At a later date, I will make some sort of circuit to make the Fuel Gauge read out the battery packs true State Of Charge. Until then, one less item on the to-do list. Tomorrow I will try to hack the back-up light outputs to drive the "Reverse" input on the Soliton1.

No comments:

Post a Comment