I drove my car to the monthly Minnesota Electric Auto Association meeting last night. Its bitter cold here in Minnesota so I used the new heater and it worked well. After the meeting, on the way home, I got about half way and I could see my pack voltage was trending close to trouble, despite the fact that the BMS said I had 50% capacity remaining. I was running out of juice. I pulled off the freeway and onto a side road. I coasted to a stop and was able to park the car while keeping the pack voltage above the minimum safe voltage. I called a family member and got towed home. It was annoying, embarrassing, and dangerous because it was 9:30PM and only 14F (-10C) outside.
In total I drove 25.1 miles. I think I have learned my lesson that I need to take the time to balance all the cells in the pack to maximize the range. 25 miles doesn't cut it! I plan to start that this weekend. I have also been working on some circuits to drive the gauges in the dashboard that I will publish soon.