Have you ever wanted to own an electric car? or have you ever wanted to drive a Porsche 911? I wanted both, so I decided to build one. This blog is here to document my journey as I convert a 2002 Porsche 911/996 Carrera 2 from a gas guzzler to a completely electric vehicle - not a hybrid!

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Inspection Day

I bought the car with a bad engine and a salvage title, so the state requires that I have the vehicle inspected before they grant me a rebuilt title and ability to renew my license tabs.  So my inspection date was 6/28/2013 and I drove about 25miles from my house to the inspection site, but my car didn't make it.  The engine and transmission started making a spinning metal noise about 2 blocks from the inspection site and soon after, the car's drive train crawled to a stop.

So, 2 blocks from the destination, I was stuck.  I tried restarting and moving through the gears with the shifter, but nothing would make the car go forward or reverse, so I had to call a tow truck.  Very ironic and frustrating to have this happen on inspection day, especially now that I have just over 1000 miles on the car!

I had the car towed back to my house and its now safely inside the garage.  I'll have to put the car on stilts, and rip out the rear battery packs to get at the motor.  I'm afraid  I need to separate the motor from the transmission to look at the linkages -- its going to be a lot of work that I don't want to do!

Suck.


1 comment:

  1. “...2 blocks from the destination, I was stuck.” - This is one incident that I think most of us wish not to happen in our day to day life. It's really a pain in the neck. Thankfully, the tow away truck came in to the rescue and helped you move your car to your house. How's your inspection, by the way? There can be lots of possible causes for the breakdown, and transmission failure is just one.

    Kayla @ GeorgetownShell.com

    ReplyDelete