Have you ever wanted to own an electric car? or have you ever wanted to drive a Porsche 911? I wanted both, so I decided to build one. This blog is here to document my journey as I convert a 2002 Porsche 911/996 Carrera 2 from a gas guzzler to a completely electric vehicle - not a hybrid!

Friday, December 30, 2011

Clearing the engine compartment

Today was a holiday for me so I spent a good part of the day working on the car.  I took out more of the intake piping and was able to remove the right side intake distributor.  With a little work, I was able to get at the compressor bolt I could not reach yesterday.  I removed the compressor bolt and was able to 'set aside' the compressor, as the repair manual states, inside the engine compartment so its out of the way of the engine removal process for now, while still attached to the air conditioning coolant tubes.  I pulled out more gas lines and coolant tubes so the compartment is starting to open up.  I was not able to remove the left side intake distributor.  There are 6 bolts, and I removed 5.  The 6th bolt is arm's reach deep into the compartment and the 10mm socket that attaches to my 3/8" socket extender is too fat to get into the cavity.  So, I went to Home Depot to pick up a narrower 10mm socket head and a 1/4" extender.  Tomorrow I will get the bolt and intake distributor removed.
Above is a picture at the end of the day.  Notice the clear view of the alternator, compressor, and left side intake distributor.  These are only visible because the air filter was removed.

This is the air filter box.

Here is a close up view of the left side of the engine compartment.  You can see the coolant expansion tank on the far left in yellow with the blue cap.  The left intake distributor are the large black tubes running up and to the right.   The alternator is the circular silver/gray object in the middle. The two black circles are belt guides and tensioning devices. The yellow cap on the far right is the oil filler tube.

This is a close up of the right side of the engine compartment.  The air conditioner compressor is shown at the bottom center -- it has been removed from its mounts on the engine, but is carefully placed on the inner edge of the compartment for the time being.  Whats missing from this picture is 13 pounds of tubes, brackets, wiring and intake distributor components. 

These are all the fuel lines and clamps that were removed.

These are additional coolant tubing and exhaust pipe seals that came out.

These are the 4 oxygen sensors and belt that were removed.



These items were also removed.  The air pump is on the upper left. Lower left is the throttle valve.  The throttle valve mounts on to the intake piece shown in the lower center.  The right side is the intake distributor.  The top center is another intake pipe that links the left and right intake distributors together.



Time lapse for todays adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment