Have you ever wanted to own an electric car? or have you ever wanted to drive a Porsche 911? I wanted both, so I decided to build one. This blog is here to document my journey as I convert a 2002 Porsche 911/996 Carrera 2 from a gas guzzler to a completely electric vehicle - not a hybrid!

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Preparing for engine removal

Tonight I started tearing into the engine compartment.  First I removed the air intake filter.  Then I removed some more coolant lines on the right and left side of the engine.  I then removed the 4 oxygen sensors that were still dangling from when I removed the exhaust system.  I removed the air pump -- what exactly does the air pump do anyways?  Then I tried to remove the coolant expansion tank, but it looks blocked by the engine intake tubes, so that will have to wait for awhile.  I removed the main belt and started to remove the compressor -- two bolts on the front were easy, but there is a 3rd that is behind the unit that is unreachable.  I can't even see it with a mirror, so I don't know what I'm going to do about that one.  I removed the throttle valve and all the fuel inputs and outputs.  The technical repair manual shows removing the power steering lines, but those are also very difficult to reach.  More to come tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment