Have you ever wanted to own an electric car? or have you ever wanted to drive a Porsche 911? I wanted both, so I decided to build one. This blog is here to document my journey as I convert a 2002 Porsche 911/996 Carrera 2 from a gas guzzler to a completely electric vehicle - not a hybrid!

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Filler tube removal and gas tank prep

I started pulling out parts today. I figured the gas tank should be my first target. The gas tank in this car is between the front two wheels in front of the driver and below the hood cavity. I removed the plastic linings/coverings under the hood to expose the battery, wire harnesses, and other junk. I also removed the passenger front wheel liner so I could remove the Fuel Filler Tube from under the car body. Once the filler tube was out, I proceeded to prep for the gas tank removal. First I had to remove the battery and the battery plate. This exposes the top of the fuel pump which is mounted inside the top of the gas tank! Next step is to find a VW 3217 tool which allows me to remove the fuel pump so I can drain the fuel. Does anyone have one of those lying around?
This picture shows the Bose speaker amplifier, gas cap, filler tube, passenger wheel liner, battery plate and battery that I was able to remove.

This is a photo under the hood after all the interior liners and components above were removed.Close up of the Bose speaker amplifier, gas cap, and filler tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment