Have you ever wanted to own an electric car? or have you ever wanted to drive a Porsche 911? I wanted both, so I decided to build one. This blog is here to document my journey as I convert a 2002 Porsche 911/996 Carrera 2 from a gas guzzler to a completely electric vehicle - not a hybrid!

Thursday, December 15, 2011

More gas tank prep

In order to get at the gas tank, I needed to remove the coolant pipes under the center off the car. One end separates near the engine, the other ends are behind the front wheels. I removed the wheels to get at the 3 hose clamps that needed to be removed from each side.
This picture shows the pipes after removal. (2 main big pipes and 3 smaller pipes connected by the black Y tube) I was surprised that these pipes are very light! I think the gas tank cavity will be a good place for a portion of the battery packs. The coolant pipe routing guides and guards I think will be perfect to route the large gauge wire required to transfer energy from the front battery pack to the motor and controller in the back. I'll think more about that later.
The coolant drained out of the engine drain hole and at the points where the main pipes were removed. This required 4 buckets in total to catch all the leaking fluid. So far, about 5 gallons have drained out.

No comments:

Post a Comment